Almond & Chocolate Tart

Monday, April 21, 2014
There is hardly a more wonderful combination than almond and chocolate. As a little girl, my most favorite candy was a Hershey bar with almonds -- guess I still am in love with that combination! 

A few months ago I tried a recipe posted at Carolyn's blog, All Day I Dream About Food for a Raspberry Frangipane Tart. Now Carolyn is a mad, crazy low-carb baker and I loved her tart -- BUT I knew I wanted an almond-chocolate version. I played with the idea and wrote a whole lot of notes down but never got around to trying anything until last week. I had my winnings from Bob's Red Mill and I wanted something special to serve to my Honey for Easter dessert and the idea of this tart came back to me. So, I took out my notes and got busy and this is what I came up with.

Almond & Chocolate Tart

Crust:
1-1/2 c almond flour
1/3 c granulated sweetener (I used Erythritol)
1/2 tsp xanthum gum 
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
1 large egg white (reserve yolk for filling)

Filling:
1 c almond flour
2/3 c granulated sweetener (I used Erythritol)
3 Tbsp cocoa (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
8 Tbsp butter, softened
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 c sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9-inch removable bottom tart pan. In the bowl of a food processor, combine crust ingredients except egg white and pulse to combine until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and stir in egg white until dough comes together and press into bottom and up sides of tart pan. Prick the bottom and sides with a fork and bake 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Using same bowl from food processor, combine almond flour, cocoa, and granulated sweetener and pulse briefly to mix. Add butter and process until combined. Add egg, egg yolk and extracts and process until combined. Pour into prebaked tart shell and spread out evenly. Sprinkle sliced almonds over the top. Bake for about 25 minutes, until the top is puffed up and dry. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. Makes 8 servings. Each serving 570 calories - 5.05g net carbs.

Thank you again to Bob's Red Mill and Cathy from Wives with Knives for hosting such a great giveaway!!