Mexican Meatloaf

Sunday, July 14, 2013
If there is anyone still out there reading -- THANK-YOU!! I have had some computer difficulties and some changes recently. The last few years have been years of change for me....change continues. I have relocated 2 hours (and a new state) away. Change can be good and this one is GREAT. More to come.

Recently a friend told me about a new favorite for her family -- Mexican Meatloaf.

Now this friend does not eat low-carb but that conversation sure got me thinking -- thinking about how I could make a low-carb version.
I decided a mixture of meats would make a great meatloaf (I used a mixture of ground beef and ground pork and was not disappointed).
I also wanted to use a favorite product of mine -- El Pato Sauce -- Mexican tomato sauce. I get this super product in the Hispanic aisle at my local grocery -- you can use salsa if you cannot get the sauce BUT put in the effort to find it -- it's worth the effort!!

Okay, here is the recipe without further ado...

Mexican Meatloaf

1-1/2 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c warm water
1 egg
1 7-3/4-ounce can El Pato sauce, divided
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
6 slices Colby Jack cheese

In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except cheese and reserve 1/2 of the tomato sauce. Mix well (hands work best), but do not overmix. In a 9x13-inch pan, form into loaf shape. Bake at 325°F for 1 hour. Pour reserved 1/2 of tomato sauce over meatloaf and arrange sliced cheese over top and return to oven for 20-30 minutes - to be sure meatloaf is done, use meat thermometer (should reach 155°F). Remove from oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Makes 12 servings (or 6 really BIG ones).

Each serving contains 298 calories, 1.79 carbs, .5 fiber = 1.29 net carbs.
This is the point that I burned my finger -- OUCH!! Still getting used to my new oven. 
Served with a romaine, avocado and (fresh from the garden) sweet onion salad on the side. 
a lovely supper in my new home -- and lots of great leftovers too!!